, 6-8, 230, Loveland (Ohio) H.S.
– With Capobianco watching from the sidelines, Loveland dropped its season opener 60-56 to Fairfield. Loveland led 48-41 entering the fourth quarter but was outscored 19-8 in the game's final eight minutes. Capobianco's absence was clearly felt, as Loveland was out-rebounded 37-23 in the contest. Capobianco is recovering from off-season surgery on his toe and is expected back for the Dec. 16 game at Kings H.S. Capobianco is expected to miss two more games – against Princeton Dec. 9 and at Glen Este Dec. 12. Capobianco averaged 20.9 points, 11.7 rebounds, 2.4 blocks and 1.4 steals as a junior.
, 6-4, 185, Hargrave (Va.) Military Academy
– After a two-week break, Hargrave Military Academy traveled to Upper Marlboro, Md., for a match-up with Patterson (N.C.) High School in the National High School Hoops Festival on Sunday and dropped its first game of the year, losing 79-76. Creek had one of his tougher games on the season, scoring 11 points while struggling from behind the 3-point arc. Despite the tough outing, Creek is still leading Hargrave (8-1) in scoring at 18.3 points per game. He's had a couple of big outings, including a 24-point effort in a 101-80 win over Louisburg College and a 25-point outing against Patrick Henry Community College.
, 6-8, 210, Tipton (Ind.) H.S.
– If there were any lingering questions about the health of Derek Elston, there were answered this weekend. Elston had 30 points, 14 rebounds, four assists, two blocks and five steals to lead Class 2A No. 3 Tipton (3-0) to a 75-32 win over Delphi. Elston knocked down 12-of-21 shots from the field, including 4-of-7 from behind the 3-point arc. Elston scored 14 points in the first half and 16 in the third quarter before sitting out the fourth quarter. Elston is averaging 23.0 points and 13.5 rebounds in the early going for Tipton, which returns to action Tuesday against Elwood in its home opener.
, 6-0, 170, Bloomington (Ind.) South H.S.
– Hulls turned in another solid all-around game with 12 points, four assists and six steals to lead Class 4A No. 4 Bloomington South (2-0) to an easy 72-45 win over Bedford North Lawrence. Darwin "Dee" Davis added 14 points, eight assists and five steals and Spencer Turner
chipped in with 10 more for the Panthers. Hulls is averaging 13.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 7.0 assists this season. South returns to action this weekend when it hosts Southport on Friday night and then travels to Terre Haute North on Saturday.
, 6-11, 250, Durham (N.C.) Mt. Zion Academy
– Muniru is playing with Mt. Zion this season, although we've been unable to track down his statistics thus far.
, 6-7, 215, Birmingham (Ala.) Shades Valley H.S.
– Shades Valley (8-1) bounced back from its first loss of the season to top Spain Park 47-45 behind 25 points from Watford. The second-ranked team in the state, Shades Valley had earlier dropped a 53-50 decision to Erwin H.S. despite 19 points and 20 rebounds from Watford. Watford is averaging a team-best 21.5 points per game and returns to action tonight (Dec. 8) against Leeds H.S. (5-3).
After dropping a 72-43 decision to North Central in its season opener, Indianapolis Pike (1-2) bounced back with a win over Ben Davis (89-83) before dropping a tough game to Avon (73-71) this weekend. Standout sophomore Marquis Teague led the way, scoring 35 against Ben Davis and 26 against Avon. Teague is averaging 26.7 points per game….Speaking of Indianapolis North Central H.S., its standout freshman D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera continues to impress, scoring 13 points and handing out eight assists in the Panthers' 107-89 win over Broad Ripple Friday. Smith-Rivera's effort was lost, though, in a huge night for Purdue-bound junior Terone Johnson
who scored 40 points…Smith-Rivera followed that up with 18 points in North Central's 80-55 win over Lawrence Central…Broad Ripple slipped to 1-2 on the year with back-to-back losses on weekend, as it also lost to Class 4A No. 3 Cathedral 65-63 despite 20 points from 6'3" freshman Ron Patterson…Southport freshman Kellon Thomas scored a team-high 12 points to lead Southport (2-2) to a 62-39 win over Greenfield Central…Matt Carlino
's Gilbert (Ariz.) Highland H.S. team is ranked No. 3 in the latest Class 5A rankings, while Phoenix St. Mary's is No. 1. St. Mary's added former IU recruiting target and recent Arizona State
commit Demetrius Walker
to its roster in the off-season…Carlino had a couple of nice games last week, scoring 14 in a 79-68 win over second-ranked Basha H.S., and then following that up with 22 points in a 73-54 win over Trevor Browne H.S…Muncie Central (1-2) got 16 points from Class of 2001 IU recruiting target Jeremiah Davis
, but it still fell to Ft. Wayne Snider 69-57. Central was playing without Ball State
recruit Jauwan Scaife, who was out for an undisclosed medical reason…Cody Zeller
helped Class 2A No. 3 Washington (Ind.) High School to a pair of one-possession wins this weekend. Zeller had a team-high 16 points plus four rebounds two steals in a 51-49 win Friday night over Evansville Central and then scored nine points, including a conventional 3-point play with 1:30 left, to help Washington (3-0) to a 61-58 win over North Daviess on Saturday…Rock Island (Ill.) standout Chasson Randle
scored 18 points to lead the Rocks to a 60-59 win over Illini commit Joseph Bertrand
's Sterling H.S. squad…Lavonte Dority
scored 23 points to lead No. 15 Chicago Foreman H.S. to a 57-41 season-opening win over Farragut H.S. Friday….Marshall Plumlee
continues to impress at Arden (N.C.) Christ School, scoring 10 points and blocking three shots in a 77-45 win over Spartanburg Day School. Arden Christ School is 7-0 this season.
Derek Elston went for 30 points and 14 rebounds this weekend, while Maurice Creek's Hargrave Military Academy team lost its first game in more than a year. Get the latest news and stats on IU's 2009 recruiting class as well as notes on IU targets in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 recruiting classes...